Customers must renew in their own county, (as statute requires T.C.A. 55-4-105e)
- New Vehicle: Purchaser needs to have in their possession (MSO) Manufacturer Statement Origin, completed by dealer and purchaser. Also, need bill of sale stating tax collected and lienholder (if any). If vehicle is purchased out of state and sales tax is lower than TN, then the difference will be collected at time of registration.
- Used: Purchaser should have title in their possession with the buyer and seller’s signature. Odometer is required for vehicles ten years or newer. Tax will be collected at time of registration unless dealer collected tax. Selling price of vehicle has to be 75% of book value. Low selling price will delay process of issuing title. Form SF1301201 can be used for low selling price or gift. Do not purchase vehicle if seller’s signature does not match the name on the front of the title. If lien appears on front of title, make sure it has been released before purchase. If lien needs to be noted on either new or used, make sure full name and address is properly noted.
- Moving to Tennessee: Owner needs title from previous state, or if still paying on vehicle, we need current registration and full name and address of lienholder. Replacement of Lost Tennessee Title: Tennessee title is the only title that may be replaced. No out of state titles. To obtain a replacement title, SF0968 has to be completed and signed by registered owner. A drivers license must also be provided. If owner chooses, he/she can choose to complete SF0968 (POA), which enables someone other than registered owner to obtain replacement title.
- Replacement title: $11.00.
- Noting of Lien: Must be Tennessee title. In order to note lien, form SF0943 has to be completed and signed by registered owner. Must have TN title and a security agreement between the lender and borrower. Noting of lien: $22.00
- Selling of Vehicle: Registered owner of vehicle signs and prints his/her name and address as the seller. Only one signature is required on the title if registered in two or more and is joined by “OR”. If joined by “AND” both signatures are required. The seller should never sign off of the title without their buyer completing their portion; this is known as an open title. This could result in penalties to the seller.
- Disabled Drivers: Handicap individuals must have form SF0953 completed by their physician to obtain plates or a placard.
Handicap Plate: $24.00/annually
*To qualify for a handicap plate, the vehicle must be titled in the disabled person’s name.
$21.50 (when applicant does not have a vehicle in their name)
No Charge (when the applicant does have a vehicle in their name)
$3.00 renewal fee every two years
Temporary Placard: $10.00
Replacement Placard: $2.00